Learn how you can create a simple and basic list workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013 that updates a field in a SharePoint list item with the current date.
One of the most simple and basic workflows you could create in SharePoint Designer 2013 is a List Workflow.
Here, you will use SharePoint Designer 2013 to create a simple list workflow that is bound to a SharePoint list to which the current date and time is written in a specific field once the workflow has run on an item in the list.
To create a simple list workflow in SharePoint Designer 2013:
- In SharePoint 2013, create a new custom list named TodaysDate that has a Date and Time (Date Only) column named CurrentDate.
- In SharePoint Designer 2013, open the site on which the TodaysDate SharePoint list is located.
- Click Site > New > List Workflow and select TodaysDate from the drop-down menu that appears.
- On the Create List Workflow dialog box, type SetTodayWF in the Name text box, select SharePoint 2013 Workflow from the Platform Type drop-down list box, and click OK.
- Follow steps 5 through 7 of Use SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow variables to get day of week.
- Follow steps 9 through 13 of Use SharePoint Designer 2013 workflow variables to get day of week.
- Place the cursor below the first action, type set, press Enter, and then select Set Field in Current Item from the drop-down menu that appears.
- Click field in the sentence for the workflow action, and then select CurrentDate from the drop-down list box that appears.
- Click value in the sentence for the workflow action, and then click the formula button (second button) behind the text box.
- On the Lookup for Date and Time dialog box, select Workflow Variables and Parameters from the Data source drop-down list box, select Variable: CurrentDate from the Field from source drop-down list box, and click OK.
- Place the cursor in the Transition to stage section of Stage 1, and click Workflow > Insert > Action > Go to a stage.
- Click a stage in the sentence for the workflow action, and then select End of Workflow from the drop-down list box that appears.
- Click Workflow > Manage > Workflow Settings.
- On the Workflow Settings page under Start Options, select the Start workflow automatically when an item is created check box.
- Click Workflow Settings > Save > Publish to publish the workflow.
You should now be able to add a new item to the TodaysDate SharePoint list, and once the workflow has run and completed, you should see the current date appear in the CurrentDate field.